Driver License Requirements for Non-U.S. Citizens If you are in good standing at AUM as an international student, exchange visitor, family member of the previous two, or an international employee of the University, you are eligible to obtain an Alabama Driver's license if you meet the following requirements:
- Must be in the U.S. 10 days or more
- Have a minimum of 160 days remaining on the validity of your documents
- Have a valid passport, I-20, DS-2019, and have possession of your latest I-94
- Have a good standing letter from the Office of East Asia Initiatives Student and Scholar Services
- Either a social security card OR a denial letter from SSN stating that you are not eligible for one
The Driver's License letter request form is available on our website. To request a Driver's License letter, please click the following link Driver's License Letter Request Form. Bear in mind that a driver's license is a privilege and NOT a right for both U.S. Citizens and foreign nationals. Please email or hand deliver your letter request form and our office will process in no more than 10 days. Please be patient and wait for our email saying your letter is ready for pickup.
*I-20s and DS-2019s will NOT be extended for the purposes of obtaining a driver's license, program extension is ONLY for valid academic reasons.