Transient Enrollment

Taking AUM classes to transfer elsewhere? Auburn Montgomery allows students in good standing at accredited colleges or universities to take AUM courses.

Application Process

Transient permission is good for only one semester; you must submit a new transient permission form for each subsequent semester of enrollment.

  1. Please complete the online application by clicking on the icon "Apply Now" at the top of the menu.
  2. Obtain a Transient Permission Form/Letter of Good Standing from your home institution. This form should be signed by the dean/department head and/or registrar and mailed to: Auburn University Montgomery, Office of Admissions Processing, PO Box 244023, Montgomery, AL 36124.
  3. Confirm with your home institution that credit for AUM courses is transferable back to the institution.
  4. Transient students will receive an official letter of acceptance from the Office of Admissions Processing regarding registration dates and times.

Student Considerations

  • Courses are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • You are responsible for requesting a transcript of your transient work be sent to your home institution.
  • AUM strongly discourages taking transient work the semester you are scheduled to graduate. If you do come to AUM as a transient student during this semester, there is no guarantee that your grades will be posted in time for your home institution's graduation.

Taking courses elsewhere to transfer to AUM

If you are currently enrolled, fully admitted and in good standing at Auburn Montgomery, you may enroll in classes at other accredited institutions on a transient basis.


  1. Obtain a copy of the course schedule and catalog description from the transient/host college that you wish to attend.
  2. Schedule an appointment with your AUM school/department advisor. Your advisor will help determine which classes will transfer to AUM and the credit you will receive. He or she also will provide a Transient Permission Form for you to complete. Your advisor’s signature guarantees school/department course approval and credit acceptance if you successfully complete the course.
  3. Take the completed form to the Registrar's office for "good standing" verification and certification.
  4. Once the form is certified/stamped, it should be taken to the host college.
  5. Apply to the other college as a Transient Student, following that college's guidelines for transient acceptance and registration.
  6. At the end of your transient semester have the host college send one copy of your transcript to AUM's Office of Admissions and Recruitment. You must request that transcripts be sent; they will not be sent automatically.

Auburn University at Montgomery
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
P.O. Box 244023
Montgomery, AL 36124-4023

Note: AUM strongly discourages you from taking transient work during the term you are scheduled to graduate. If you do so, the Registrar's Office must receive an official transcript from that institution before the final day of AUM’s term.