Supervising & Leadership Certificate
Your employees are your most valuable resources. Ensuring the efficiency of your team is the key to your success and is your most important responsibility. Get practical, easy to understand, and insightful methods for new and even experienced supervisors and managers.
Learn about effective delegation, performance management, and writing performance reviews. Discuss the specifics of the supervisor's role and responsibilities, and strategies for improving your overall effectiveness as a leader.
Take home practical information along with tips and techniques that can be applied at your job immediately.
One two-month online course; February-March; April-May; June-July; September-October; $395; Sally Klauss, instructor, Riverside Community College, Riverside, CA. 32 hours of seat time is suggested for this course.
Understanding the Role of the Supervisor
Covers the specifics of the supervisor's role and responsibilities, and strategies for improving your overall effectiveness as a leader. Discussion and workshop exercises illustrate ways to save time and effort by understanding the benefits of the functions of management and how to leverage each for maximum productivity. This training is a MUST for new and even experienced supervisors and managers.
Discusses the numerous benefits of delegation, why it is so hard for leaders to do effectively, and what you and your staff can gain from delegation. Exercises include practice using the 6-step Delegation Model. Students are encouraged to use any example from work they feel can help them improve their delegation skills.
Outlines how to identify, define, and address poor as well as proficient behaviors to facilitate maximum employee performance and engagement. Techniques include how to recognize problem behavior before it progresses, how to reward the right behavior, and ways to motivate strong performers other than pay.
Writing Performance Reviews
Demystifies the process by providing simple step-by-step methods for identifying what to include in a review, how to deal with specific performance issues, how to keep track of accomplishments and problems during the year, and motivate employees through goal setting, and how to deliver the review once it is complete.
About Your Instructors
The Supervisory & Leadership Certificate is provided by Riverside Community College, Riverside, California.
The instructor, Sally Klauss, MBA, CPCC, has an extensive background in management, employee training and development, total quality management and business management. She is also a leadership coach specializing in management development. She has experience teaching this program face-to-face for Riverside Community College.
- To clarify the role and responsibilities of the supervisor
- To develop specific strategies to maximize leadership in the work setting
- To learn through discussion and workshop exercises, how to leverage benefits and functions of management for maximum productivity
- To understand the importance of effective delegation
- To understand the importance of managing performance to maximum productivity
- To understand the key elements of effective performance reviews
Upon successful completion of this course you will:
- be able to self-assess your own competencies and know what you need to develop to maximize your effective as a supervisor
- employ strategies to create productive and cooperative staff relationships
- establish yourself as a leader in creating benefits to your organization and motivate staff to do the same
- delegate responsibility with confidence to create a more productive work environment
- be able to recognize and address problem behavior before it becomes too serious
- motivate and reward staff effort
- know what to include in a performance review and create a system for monitoring information that should be in the review
- be effective in correcting problem behaviors
- be effective in setting performance goals