International Community

Obtaining a Social Security Number

If you have been in the U.S. for at least 10 days, have registered for classes and have a job or a job offer, you can get a Social Security Number (SSN) from the U.S. government. You will need to apply in person at the local Social Security Administration office and take:

    • Passport
    • Visa
    • I-94 card
    • Form I-20
    • Letter of support from the Office of International Student Programs and Services or the signature of the DSO (Designated School Official) on the letter of employment.
    • Letter of employment with office company letterhead giving the following details:
      • Identity of student employee
      • Nature of job the student is, or will be, engaged in
      • Anticipated or actual employment start date
      • Number of hours the student is expected to work
      • Employer Identification Number (EIN)
      • Employer contact information, including the telephone number and the name of the F-1 student's immediate supervisor
      • Original signature and signatory's title
      • Date on which letter is written and signed


For specific information go to Social Security Online.