Armed Forces Tuition Assistance | AUM

Armed Forces Tuition Assistance

Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA/MilTA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Depending on your branch, you may be eligible to receive up to 100% Federal Tuition Assistance from military service, with a $250 cap per semester hour and limits that can reach up to $4,500 per fiscal year.

Each branch has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application processes and restrictions. Funds are transferred directly to the educational institution by the applicable branch of the military. Claimants receiving the Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD / Chapter 30) benefit may elect to use VA Top Up "top-up" to cover the out of pocket cost for courses partially paid by Tuition Assistance.

To learn more about your eligibility for this program, please visit your local installation education center or contact your unit Education Services Officer (ESO) or representative, they will assist with additional information. 

Be sure to ask your ESO about TA DECIDE, a tool developed by the Department of Defense that gives interested service members access to information on approved schools eligible for TA, such as average TA costs, course completion, graduation requirements, and estimated tuition and fee amounts.

Steps to apply for Tuition Assistance

  1. Gain approval from your commander to attend classes at Auburn University at Montgomery prior to enrollment. (Note: Unit Commanders approve TA)
  2. See your base Education Services Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling for classes at Auburn  University at Montgomery.
  3. Follow the military service branch and component specific instructions how to request Tuition Assistance for your course(s). Take note of the TA application instructions/deadlines specific to your branch and Auburn University at Montgomery’s  academic calendar to ensure your request in processed in a timely manner.
  4. Submit your approved TA request to the Office of Student Accounts for processing (email to
  5. The Office of Student accounts will process your approved TA request, and posts the TA credit to your student account.

Prior to your course enrollment, you may be required to develop an education plan or complete TA orientation. Military tuition assistance may only be used to pursue degree programs at colleges and universities in the United States that are regionally or nationally accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S Department of Education. A quick way to check the accreditation of a school is by visiting the Department of Education.


Some students may be eligible for the AUM Military and Dependent Scholarship which CAPS tuition at $250 for undergraduate and graduate courses.

Military Tuition Assistance Resources

Choose your service branch below to learn more about its specific tuition assistance information:
United States Army Tuition Assistance
United States Marine Corps Tuition Assistance
United States Air Force Tuition Assistance
United States Navy Tuition Assistance
United States Coast Guard Tuition Assistance

Please contact AUM’s Veteran and Military information Center for any questions or assistance in this matter:
Veterans and Military information Center (VMIC)
(334) 244-3799 or